Ranger Cub Page 3

December 2023

The start of the month was the first time to try the Cub over any distance. I had said I would take part in the "Light up Peterhead" event on the 2nd. The idea was to decorate you vehicle up with lights, and drive around Peterhead, before a firework display and switching on of this years Christmas lights.
I decided to go with a xmas tree on the back, covered with lights, a speaker playing xmas tunes and a santa hat/goggles

ready to start
ready to start
spotted
Spotted

The trip showed up a few problems, firstly the speedo and fuel gauge didn't read. So I revoved the speedo cable and it was found to be broken, so the was replaced. Getting to the gearbox drive is one of the worst jobs on the A-series, and while doing this I discovered that the left hand cv boot was split and needed replace later. The fuel tank was removed, the sender under taken out, opened and cleaned up, before it was put back in place with the tank getting a coat of paint. I have plans for this as can be guessed.
speedo cable
speedo cable
tank out
tank out
tank it
tank back in and painted

The cv boot was then replaced, by undoing the large hubnut, popping the upper/lower swivel joints and the track rod end. This allowed me to pull the hub off the CV joint. This was cleaned up, before a new boot was fitted, the joint re-greased, and the hub re-attached. However while I had the hub off it made sense to me to replace the bottom arm and tie bar with adjustable ones I had spare. The Cub seems to have a slight bit of positive camber so this will allow me to dial this out.

cv
CV joint
lower arm
Lower arm and Tie rod

With the bottoms arms fitted it was possible to make an adjustment to the camber, along with the caster. I decided on 1 degree of negative camber, this is in the middle of the range recommended, the caster was set at 3 degrees. The front was then set to 1mm toe out.

camber
Camber value

Next for attention was the "inside" of the car, mainly the dashboard. Firstly I connected up one of the spare orange light on the speedo as an oil light. The cub is fitted with an oil gauge, but a light give a more visual warning I think. Speaking of the oil gauge this was replaced, as the lettering inside it was sufferring from the damp. At the same time, I removed the ammeter, as with an alternator fitted its a bit poinless, and replaced it with a Smiths battery condition (voltmeter) instead. All three of the smaller gauges were fitted with back lights at the same time.
The gearkob fitted always gave me problems, when lifting to engage reverse, it kept slipping off the shaft. I did try replacing with a Momo one I had around, however I wasn't happy with that. While checking ebay for what classic parts were available locally, I found someone selling a classic pear shapped mini gearknob, so this was purchased and fitted.

Gauges
Dashboard
gearknob
Gearknob

As the month wore on, a few more things were done.
First was to finish up the fuel tank I had painted up. A few stick on letters and a coat of lacquer to protect them.
This was followed by fitting a twin USB point on the dashboard, these are wired to the accessory connection allowing them to be used while everything else is turned off.
Then it was time to have a look at the fuel filler cap, I had never liked the look of the original Mini style one, as it just stuck out the side of the body work. I managed to find a smaller flush "aircraft" type filler to use instead.

Letters
Hybrid ?
USB
USB Sockets
Filler cap
Filler cap

In an effort to protect the column switch from any rain, I made a very simple cover for it. It may get rounded off and covered at some point later, we shall see.
I also like to carry a fire extinguisher in all my cars, so I looked around to find a reasonably short one. I discovered a suitable one in a local discount store, and fitted it between the bulkhead and gear stick.
Then on Xmas eve I decided to have a short run with a neighbour, via the local Greggs for lunch, where we attracted a little attention.

Cover
Switch cover
extinguisher
Extinguisher
Greggs
Parked up

To round off the year, the engine cover and boot lid, both had their catches removed and replaced with Dzus fasteners instead.

dzus
Dzus fasteners