GTM Logo

GTM Coupé Page 19

May 2008

Well the beginning of the month has been fine, it has allowed me to finish the dash, and try it out to check the wiring is right..

Dash in place
Dash wired and fitted

To get the temperature gauge to read right, I had to fit a 470Ohm Symbol resistor in parallel with the gauge, this brings the resistance curve close to what the gauge needs.

When bleeding the brakes and clutch, the clutch hose decided to explode when pressure (only 5psi) was applied, need to find another, most likely steel braided this time.

clutch hose
exploding clutch hose

Also now that I have a working temperature gauge, I wired up the thermal switch on the radiator and the fan I fitted a while back. All I need to do now is let the engine idle for a little time and see if the fan cuts in.

fan wiring diagram
Fan wiring diagram

Well now that the dash is fitted, it was possible to fit the heater back in.
I fitted a single vent, centred, on the dash, as close to the windscreen as possible, hopefully there will be enough flow to keep the windows clear.

Center vent
Centred Vent

The heater box, itself, was tucked as far up beneath the dash as possible.


Shift Lights seem to work

Also managed to source a braided "Goodridge" hose for the clutch, this one shouldn't split like the old one did. Seems to fit with no problems, just need to get it bleed, and we may be able to select gears again.

new clutch hose

The continuing dry and sunny weather has allowed me to make a start on the bodywork. With the Weber protruding from the engine cover, I decided to extend the engine cover 'bulge' all the way to the hinge. At the same time, I filled up the holes where the locks used to be, I'm planning to use 'Dzus' type fasteners to hold the cover down. Also contemplating whether to make the cover into one piece rather than it being hinged.

lock filled
Lock holes filled
extended bulge
extended bulge
extended bulge
extended bulge

Well I've decided to make the engine cover into one part. So I cut a couple of slots in the vertical edges and places a metal strengthening strip across the halves, once it is fibre-glassed into place, it should hold it enough to allow me to fill the other side up. I also plan to drill a few holes in the vertical edges, allowing fibreglass through, to bond the halves together strongly.

engine cover being joined
joining the engine cover
Once the glass-fibre was set, I turned the cover only and started to fill the gap left at the joint.

The join seems to be quite strong, and should hold quite well.
engine join filled
joint filled

Now that the cover is in one piece it is possible to extend the bulge beyond the hinge line. I glassed a small piece of mesh in place then formed a lip beyond the end, by using a polystyrene former it should have a nice even finish.

Polystyrene former
Polystyrene former